Macarthur Events

Each year the Macarthur & District Historical Society hosts events that celebrate the history in our area. We also participate in a number of local events both here in Macarthur and in association with other local history centres and attractions.

Upcoming Events

May 25th & 26th 2024

Three Court Houses are opening their doors for a weekend of car touring. It is a leisurely drive between Port Fairy, Macarthur & Penshurst in the vicinity of vineyard lunches and cottage accommodation.


Macarthur Back to Reunion October


Book launches


Western District History Events

To attend or participate in our local events, please follow us on Facebook

Macarthur Heritage Trail

 Download MAP

1 - OLD SWIMMING POOL - Located at Eumeralla Bridge, 1957. Built by volunteers, it's glory was short lived. After a few years, severe cracking and leakage occurred and it was abandoned. A public pool has since been built and running from 1966.

2 - MACARTHUR POST OFFICE - 25 High St, 1860's. In 1893, it was badly burnt by by a fire. It operated until 1912, when a new Post Office was built further along High St.

3 - MACARTHUR MECHANICS INSTITUTE HALL- High St, 1877. The Hall was gutted by fire in 1907, by mice chewing on wax matches. The hall re-opened in 1913. It was the home of a library, and movies were shown from a raised projection room.

4 - COURT HOUSE - 31 High St, 1891. Erected at a cost of E975, it operated from 1892-1977. It then re-opened for another 4 years in 1982 and closed in 1986. Now occupied by Macarthur Historical Society, it has a comprehensive display within the court house including the famous Gordon Lucas Barber's Shop. Outside features the old Gaol, Paint the Town Red Plaque, and the Bills Horse trough.

5 - MONUMENT & MEMORIAL ROSE GARDEN - Erected by residents in memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in the First and Second World Wars. The Rose Garden stands in memory of all servicemen and women.

6 - FARMERS INN/COMMERCIAL HOTEL- 37 High St. Built in 1874 for Patrick Fahey. The Farmers Inn Hotel was burnt down and rebuilt in 1902 and changed its name to the Commercial Hotel. The pub was nicknamed 'the Jug & Knife' from the owner's habit of using an old knife to clear the froth off the top of a jug of beer. The hotel closed in 1966.

7 - FORMER METHODIST CHURCH - Built in 1885. Sold to the Free Presbyterian Church in 1967, after the Uniting Church formed. It has now been a private residence as 1991.

8 - MACARTHUR NATIONAL BANK - The Macarthur National Bank was built in 1876 by George Betts. It closed as recently as 1998.

9 - BLACKSMITH SHOP/COACH BUILDER - 47 High St, 1868. James Green from Tasmania was a known blacksmith, with the business changing hands several times with one owner being a coachbuilder and undertaker as well.

10 - ANGLICAN CHURCH - The Anglican church as built in 1908.

11 - ST. MALACHAY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH - Built in 1887, replacing a wooden structure.

12 - BETHANY HOUSE - 67 High St. The home 'Bethany' was built for Dr. Gerald Haydon, who ran his surgery from this home. It originally had stables along the back as well as a dairy, shearing shed and substantial orchard. There was also a croquet lawn out the front. Dr. Haydon was a colourful character who was known for his 'fast horses' and 'dodgy tonic'.

13. JOSEPH TWIST'S HOME - Mt Eccles Road. The site of the home of Joseph & Margaret ​Twist, built in the 1850's. Joseph Twist was one of the first land buyers when Macarthur was declared a town in 1857. He was a highly respected stockman and cattle breeder. Catholic Church services were first held at their home.

14. MACARTHUR BUTTER FACTORY - Palmerston St. Opened in 1892. It was built at a cost of E805, with money from local shareholders. A major employer in Macarthur, the factory won multiple prizes for its butter in Melbourne and London. In 1924 a new factory was built beside the original one. The factory was merged with Western Meadows Gold and then taken over by Murray Goulburn in the 1960's and closed in 1966.

15. THE EUMERALLA INN - 9-11 Russell St, 1852. As the first established hotel in Macarthur, the Eumerella Inn was run as a boarding house in the 1870's.

16. GLASGOW HOUSE GENERAL STORE - 39-41 Heckfield St, 1867. The Black Brothers' Businesses occupied this site from 1858-1930's. The businesses included a blacksmith, wheelwright, wagon building, funeral parlour, carpentry and timber yard.

17. THE BAKERS SHOP - 37 Heckfield St. The Bakers Shop was operated by Ernest Davis from approximately 1906. It changed hands many times, but remained a Bakers Shop until the last owners, Geoffrey and Don Keast, closed the doors in 1978.

18 - THE TAILOR & BOOTMAKER SHOP - 5 Heckfield St, 1894. This site was originally a Tailors' Shop, owned by Joseph Stimson. The site then became a Boot-makers Shop from 1939. The owner, George Smith, or "Smithy" as affectionately known, was said to be an interesting character.

19 - CLARRIE BLACK'S HARDWARE & TIMBER YARD - 24 Heckfield St, 1961. This hardware shop and timber yard operated during the boom times of soldier settlement until 1981, and is now used as a print room.

20 - MACARTHUR INN/COMMERCIAL HOTEL - The original Macarthur Inn was built in 1871, by John Ewen. After burning down in 1875, it was rebuilt as a two-storey bluestone building and operated as the Commercial Hotel until the early 1880's. For a short time it was used as a Bank. It was then demolished and rebuilt as a private residence.

21. MACARTHUR GENERAL STORE - 23 Heckfield St. The Macarthur General Store was built for Charles Munt in 1867 and was one of the earliest general stores. It sold such things as drapery, clothing, boots and shoes, fancy goods, stationery, ironmongery, building materials, sheep shears, tobacco and groceries to name a few.

22. MACARTHUR UNITING CHURCH - Formerly Presbyterian Church. The foundation stone was laid in 1874, by William Carmichael.

23. MACARTHUR PRIMARY SCHOOL - The Primary School was opened in 1875, although a Common School operated as far back as 1865. Attendance reached its peak in 1963 with 214 pupils.

24. MACARTHUR HOTEL - Cnr High St & Heckfield St. Built in 1869, the bluestone Macarthur hotel was known as 'The Traveller's Rest', ran by Siacob Silerberg. It's name changed over the years to the 'Victoria Hotel' and more recently the 'Macarthur Hotel'. The hotel closed in 2019, and has recently served as a Vietnam Veterans Museum.

25. SPARROW FAMILY HISTORIC PLAQUE - Lake Gorrie Road. This historic marker tells the tragic story of the Sparrow family drowning in the 1946 floods. The plaque is located 8kms down the Lake Gorrie Road, off the Mt Eccles Road.

 Download MAP